Monday, January 2, 2012

Winter Classic Love

Sorry for the brief hiatus everyone. I was off traveling, visiting family and generally enjoying the holidays. So actually no, I'm not sorry. I am however glad to be back home writing about hockey. And is there a better way to welcome in the New Year than with the NHL's Winter Classic? I think not.

The event was so successful after its debut in 2008, an easy decision was made to make it a part of every season thereafter. At first, I was skeptical. I thought the idea of an outdoor game EVERY year would take away from its appeal. The exaggeration of one regular season game was also a concern of mine. Two points are still at stake. Let's keep it in perspective, right?

I have since changed my mind for two reasons: HBO and popularity. 

HBO's 24/7: Road to the Winter Classic is by far my favorite program on television - even if it's only four episodes a year. The show reminds me of Planet Earth, another go-to for my viewing pleasure. An inside look at what NHL players experience on a day-to-level is a dream come true for me. It's shot and narrated in a way that makes it fun for all viewers (non-hockey fans included).  The latter reason is obvious. NBC equals popularity. The Winter Classic draws an incredible audience and the more people that pay attention to hockey, the happier I am.

This year was no letdown. 

I skipped the pregame ceremonies because, well...no one wants to see Mike Milbury and Jeremy Roenick babble on camera for two hours. I'm glad Bob Costas was there to provide some sanity though. After a bland first period, the Philadelphia Flyers and New York Rangers played an exciting 40 minutes that won't soon be forgotten. The Flyers put up a two-goal lead midway through the second period. The first tally was by Brayden Schenn - his first career NHL goal. The second, a backhand snipe by Claude Giroux (#backhandswork). However, just 30 seconds later, Michael Rupp cut the lead in half. He followed it with a salute and another goal early in the third. Two and a half minutes after that, the $60 million dollar man, Brad Richards, netted the game-winner. A terrible call on Ryan McDonagh combined with a penalty shot for Danny Briere provided a perfect ending to an exciting game.

Game-changing moment: Ryan Callahan's creative, behind-the-net pass that led to the game-winning goal.

Keeping with a recurring theme in this blog: I was wrong. The Winter Classic is awesome!

Anyone else impatiently awaiting the finale of HBO's 24/7 on Wednesday?

No comments:

Post a Comment