Saturday, January 7, 2012

Press Box 1/7/12

I obviously came to the First Niagara Center as soon as I could (5:00PM), asking for directions the entire way. I picked up my credentials, rode the press box elevator and picked up a dictionary-sized stack of statistics. I now know how Harry Neale and Rick Jeanneret spew interesting facts throughout the game. They're laid out for them in perfect fashion. Kudos to whoever does the digging on this:
Wonderful!

After gathering the stats, I found my place amongst fellow bloggers, passing Kevin Weekes along the way (#NBD). Shout out to @thehosers! A great Sabre blog. Check it out...NOW! Here was my view:
Not bad, right?

The temperature up there however...quite chilly. Small price to pay for glory.

As the arena began to fill, my excitement rose. I was actually watching an NHL game from the press box. I'm sure the regulars who consistently occupy these seats are used to the privilege, but that's exactly what it is: a HUGE privilege! A completely unobstructed view coupled with complementary coffee and popcorn combine for a perfect experience. I sincerely could not have asked for more.

The arena was full and the puck dropped. Boy, those 300-level fans were loud. Even the Jets' fans! I loved it. Although the first period was a bit tame, I was very much looking forward to the second. It didn't disappoint, with five power plays and two goals. The third ended in unfavorable excitement with a tie. Overtime lasted a good minute until Johnny Oduya scored to end it.

I then made my way to Lindy Ruff's press confence downstairs. There, in a small room with maybe 20 reporters and bloggers, I sat in awe as Ruff candidly answered a few questions. The conference lasted about three and a half minutes, but it only seemed like a few seconds.

If approved, I am definitely doing this again! What a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment