Monday, February 13, 2012

Rick and Harry


Friday, for the second time, I was lucky enough to sit in the press box of the First Niagara Center. I knew it was going to be another tremendous day because well...it's the NHL. I'll jump at any chance to get closer to the game I love. However, life was even better this time around. That night, I had the honor of meeting Rick Jeanneret and Harry Neale (a special thanks to Brad Townsend for making that possible). Some of you may think honor is an exaggeration. I think not. They are both genuinely nice, amiable individuals. 

Being a "seasoned veteran" at obtaining credentials, I tried my best to remember the routine. I set a new personal record, with three, for the fewest questions asked on these trips and with little trouble, found my seat. A good friend of mine who works in the press box was to make the introduction to these Buffalo legends. Although excited, and a tad nervous, I tried my best to stay calm and not look like a total goober. My friend was fully aware of this anxiety. About a half an hour before the game, he made light of these sentiments by coming to my seat and jesting, "You've been summoned by Mr. Neale." I shook Harry's hand and he advised me to hang out in the lobby area between the first and second intermissions. Due to some scheduling uncertainties, the period in which I would be accompanying them was unknown. No problem. The first intermission came and I waited. Nothing. The second intermission followed and just before the period was about to start, I saw him down the hallway poke his head out of the booth and wave me down. He apologized for rushing, but had to be on camera for some discussions with Rob Ray in a few minutes. In the back of the booth, I stood and watched Harry Neale calmly talk to thousands upon thousands of viewers. No big deal, right? After that, they encouraged me to wear an extra headset they had and stand between them while the third period was announced. I moved right up to the edge, but backed off a tad because I didn't want to ruin their chemistry. It was obvious that they both loved hockey. Harry Neale missed a few cues by Rick Jeanneret to comment because he was intently watching the game. Like an old friend, Jeanneret just rolled his eyes and smiled. An exciting period of hockey, plus some bonus time, brought plenty of memories that ended with a Harry Neale gem: Michael Wyder. He put me to shame.

Before I knew it, the game was over and I thanked them both for the opportunity, which to them probably wasn't a huge deal. But for me, it was! Hopefully, this press box situation happens again and I can strike up more conversation with Buffalo's greatest announcers.

No comments:

Post a Comment